Preparing for the BNP Ultra 50 k

I started running sometime in 2014. After running 5 marathons (4 in Mumbai and 1 in Ladakh) and a couple of 25/32 kilometer events, I am now emboldened to participate in an Ultra. BNP Ultra 50 k in SGNP beckons February 2020. I have ran more than 50 kilometers only once. This was when I joined Vasant in 2017. Over the years I find myself getting fitter and becoming a more mature runner. Finding your rhythm while running and more importantly not competing with anyone, not even yourself, are important to successfully complete any run. By success I do not mean finishing in a reasonable time. Timing is secondary to me. I give paramount importance to having a cramp and injury free run. There are so many potential injuries one can have. The usual suspects are injuries to various parts of your legs but the really irritating ones are chaffing at the unmentionable spots, nipples and toes. One really needs to prepare for all eventualities. Vaseline has been the saviour for a person like me who is prone to chaffing. I slather my body with copious amounts of Vaseline before any major run. I may also carry a few strips of band aid and the ever dependable chikki for instant energy.

I have scoured the net for getting ready for my first ultra. The trick is to find what works for you from the abundant information available. I have taken a printout of the training schedule mentioned on the Tata Ultra Lonavala 50 k event and would try to train accordingly. I have realised that mileage is very important to improve performance. But having said this, one also has to be careful to avoid any injuries before race day. Tata Mumbai Marathon is now just 16 days away and we can ill afford any niggle or injury. Realistically speaking my training would begin post the Mumbai marathon. Do I have enough time to train? I am not too sure. My preparedness would be tested only on 22nd February. I will write a post after I finish this. Meanwhile I am trying to keep calm the butterflies in my stomach!

Somehow I am not thinking too much about the Mumbai Marathon. Here we would be running 42 k but the route is familiar. SGNP is a different ball game. The distance at the Ultra is just 8 kilometers more than the Mumbai run but would really test its participants because of the inclines. I read that the Kanheri and Gandhi tekdi inclines would have to be climbed 3 times!

I plan to religiously follow the Tata training schedule along with our bi-weekly stretching sessions. I will assiduously attend my yoga class in the evening too. This will help me in soothing my sore muscles. Just take one day at a time and do not think far too ahead. This is the plan for now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

तोच चंद्रमा नभात

The Selfish Gene

Gopal Ganesh Agarkar on Gender Equality